rings image toronto civic wedding chamber swans images
Tour Our Chamber
In Weddings
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Wedding Chambers at the Toronto City Hall include the Marriage Officiant who conducts the ceremony?
Yes, the fee of $270.00 includes the chambers and the Marriage Officiant.

Who may be married in Ontario?
Any person 18 years and above, is permitted to be married in Ontario. No person under 16 years of age is allowed to marry within the province. Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age (other than a widow, widower or divorced person) may marry with the written consent of their legal guardian.

Where and when do I get my marriage licence?
You may purchase your marriage licence at any City Hall within the Province of Ontario. You can download an application form or obtain further information from their website at ontario.ca.

Please note, there is a fee for purchasing a marriage licence in Ontario. Please contact your Municipal Office for the current fee and required documentation. 

Your marriage licence is valid in Ontario for three months from the date issued. If the licence expires, it will not be valid and you will have to purchase another licence.

When obtaining your licence, you will need to fill out an application form (downloadable online or filled out in person). You will receive your marriage licence the same day your hand in the application, provided you have the proper identification and documentation.

Please note, if a divorce has taken place outside Canada, specific requirements must be met before a marriage licence can be issued. Please visit ontario.ca, or call the Toronto Marriage Licence Office at 416-392-7036 for more details.

Do I need to have a marriage licence before I can book a wedding date at the Wedding Chambers?
A marriage licence is not required when scheduling a date with us. However, a valid marriage licence is required on the day of your wedding ceremony, otherwise the marriage cannot take place.

How far in advance do we need to book an appointment?
For City Hall Weddings some months are busier than others, with Saturdays being our most popular day. Please book as far in advance as possible for an ideal timeslot.

For "off-site" weddings, we suggest you book as soon as you have established the date and location of your wedding. 

Please call us to check our availability any time Monday to Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m..

Do you provide witnesses?
The Wedding Chambers is not responsible for providing witnesses. By law, you must provide two witnesses for your ceremony. Your witnesses can be family or friends, and are not required to bring any ID.

How long does the ceremony take?
At the Wedding Chambers, the ceremonies are scheduled on the half hour, i.e. 11:30 a.m., 12:00p.m., 12:30 p.m., etc. The duration of the ceremony is approximately 12-15 minutes, followed by the signing of the Register. The remaining time may be spent taking pictures and visiting with family and friends. 

For "off-site" weddings, the duration of the ceremony varies depending on what you have planned with your Officiant. 

May we take pictures during the ceremony?
Pictures and videos are permitted at any time throughout the ceremony.

Is the Wedding Chambers decorated?
The Wedding Chambers provides a modern ambience, with fresh flowers. Pictures are available on our website in our photo gallery: “Tour Our Chambers”. You are also welcome to drop by in person.

Do you provide music at the Wedding Chambers?
We carry a selection of classical music on CD at the Wedding Chambers. However, you are able to bring your own selection of music (either in CD format, or from you phone. Please note, we provide an auxiliary cable to connect your phone to our sound system).

What type of ceremony do you perform?
We perform a non-religious ceremony at the Wedding Chambers.

May we write our own vows and have friends read?
Yes, you may expand upon the Officiant's vows, and include readings of your choice throughout the ceremony. However, we know you will be happy with the ceremony the Officiant provides for you.

What will I receive after the ceremony?
Following the ceremony, you will receive your "Record of Solemnization of Marriage" from the Officiant. The Form 7 section of your licence will be mailed the same day to the Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay for registration. 

After approximately 8 weeks, you may request a formal Marriage Certificate from the Office of the Registrar General. Please check their website for more information. .

How do I change my name in Ontario after the ceremony?
There should be an information sheet regarding a name change included with the information you received at the time you purchased your marriage licence. You may also contact the local Office of the Registrar General at 47 Sheppard Ave. E. at 416-325-8305. For more information or click on their website.

What do your Officiants wear to the ceremony?
Our Officiants wear an academic gown when performing ceremonies.

What do the couples have to wear to the ceremony?
There is no formal dress code required at the Wedding Chamber. You may wear any attire you deem appropriate for the occasion.

HomeTour Our ChambersCity Hall WeddingsOff-Site Weddings
Frequently Asked QuestionsContact Us